Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Half Marathon Training

Today I looked back at my old blog for the first time in months. When I started it 16 months ago I was doing it to gripe a little, follow my progress, keep myself motivated and have a journal for my goal. I decided to start a new blog, out with the old and in with the new.

About 2 years ago I started a beginning runner’s group called Power in Motion to become a runner. Running has been a positive learning experience, it has helped me clear my mind and work out issues with myself – body and soul. I have grown a lot in my faith as well, and I now try to surround myself with positive people who keep gossip, drama and negativity to a minimum. My new outlook has really made me stronger, more positive and a better runner. Since I began in March, 2010 I have completed two 5K races and lost 30 pounds with only a few setbacks along the way. I am very proud of myself and looking forward to blogging about my newest goal – my first half-marathon!

I have been run/walking during the work week since my last 5K on Halloween, 2010 so it hasn’t been that hard…yet. I am a little nervous about the really long runs – and let me just clarify LONG runs to me are anything over 10 miles. Have you driven 10 miles? It’s FAR. Holy crap, I know it can be done but it freaks me out. Since I have kept my routine during the week it has been great so far and I’m taking it slow and easy and focusing on the little miles I have ahead of me first. I’ll officially freak out when 10 gets closer. I have basically 6 months to train and I have several friends who have done a half before and all are happy to give me advice. This morning I was told “If you can do 3, you can do 6; and if you can do 6, you can do 10…”. OK, well... I can do 3 and I’m about to do 6… so if it doesn’t kill me, she may be right…

I started training July 9th using a technique a friend told me about that was created by Jeff Galloway, which is a run/walk method that is supposed to keep you from being fatigued and injured. His website is www.jeffgalloway.com. I am training on my own using a 2:1 run/walk schedule. The race is called RunGirl, and it's on December 11, 2011 in Houston.

The schedule: Long Runs on Saturdays, with running days on Tuesdays and Thursdays for about 2.5-3.0 miles. Walk Days are Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays I walk and use hand weights for 2.0-2.5 miles.

Saturday July 9th and 16th I ran 2:1s for about 5 miles each time. This Saturday I am back to 4 miles before I jump up to 6 at the end of the month. So far so good! I will try to blog after my Saturday runs…so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, chica! Your perseverance inspires me!

    ~Mellissa

    ReplyDelete